RE: [6pack] Door panels - DOH!!

To: "Jim Jones" <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Door panels - DOH!!
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 08:03:24 -0700
        Jim:

        Don't set yourself on fire. The car will do that for you,
courtesy of Mssr. Lucas, aka "Prince of Darkness".

        As for the door panels - been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

        First, I recommend omitting the door handle springs. Everything
works just fine without them, and disassembly and reassembly are much
easier. If you are a nut for originality, the small end points toward
the door, the large end points into the passenger compartment. But I
urge you to omit them for the sake of your sanity. No need to give up
the heavy drinking, however. I find life is much more relaxed after a
good bender.
        As for the panel clips, I recall the answer being "none of the
above". I wanted my panels (from Moss) to be centered on the door when
it was closed. As I recall, this meant the door panel needed to be
installed moved rearward by about 1/2". Remember this is from memory,
and with an old fart like me it is a dangerous thing to rely on memory.
Anyhooo....
        To get it to fit properly in my car, I installed all the clips
so that they were moved towards the front edge of the panel. This
centered the panel on the door when closed, and gave what I felt was the
best appearance from inside the car. YMMV. I also needed to tweak one or
two of the clips during the fitting, as the holes in the panel are not
necessarily centered over their respective mounting holes in the door -
so it was necessary to push the clips around a bit as I worked my way
around the panel.

        Lift one up for me,

        Vance