Starter help

To: "Triumph 6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starter help
From: "John North" <johncnorth@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 13:16:08 -0500
My starter just whirrs - it is getting power and turning, but not
engaging the flywheel.   I replaced the solenoid, but this did not
solve the problem.

I need to test the operation of the solenoid.   Is it safe to do this
with the starter dismounted  and hooked up to the electrics?    Or
will the things fly all over and take my head off?   Is there a better
way to test this?

Another question...   this is a 76, has the two white/orange wires
connected to the bulb test relay and the seat belt interlock.   When I
took it apart, these two were connected to the same terminal as the
battery cable.   Masters shows these conected to the other terminal,
the one that attaches the solenoid to the starter itself.   This would
mean they are consta ntly energised, rather than only energised wheh
the starter is running.   Is this just an error, or did the PO have
something else in mind, like disabling the seat belt interlock?

Any suggestions appreciated.

John North