RE: ball joint removal

To: "Alan Salvatore" <6parts@charter.net>
Subject: RE: ball joint removal
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 15:23:13 -0700
        Al:

        There is a special tool called a "ball joint separator"
(logically enough) available at any auto parts store. They work great,
although they are a bit hard on the control arms (tend to leave small
dents). It looks like a giant pickle fork. 2 whacks with a big hammer,
and your ball joint pops apart. This is what I used. You can borrow them
from auto parts stores like auto zone:

http://www.autozone.com/in_our_stores/loan_a_tool/steering_suspension/ba
ll_joint_separator.htm

        A more gentle tool that costs a few dollars more is a "ball
joint remover" which uses a screw to force the joint apart. Here is a
pic from JC Whitney:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product?storeId=10101
&Pr=p_Product.CATENTRY_ID%3A2004158&TID=231000000&TID=231000000&productI
d=2004158&catalogId=10101

        The separator is cheap, one size pretty much fits all, and as
reliable as an anvil. The remover is a little more, harder to find, but
won't damage the grease boot, and causes no collateral damage.

        Cheers,

        Vance