Re: timing chain

To: trvesely3@msn.com (TIMOTHY VESELY)
Subject: Re: timing chain
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 23:31:24 -0700
Tim---When these chains jump timing, it's usually from the chain
tensioner giving up. The chain should bang around a bit against the
timing cover, and you would normally hear this.

Since the engine will still run, your ignition timing would also be off
if the chain jumped, and easy enough to check with a timing light, or
statically.

With 11 and 12 on the rock, both of no. one's valves should be closed,
and the timing should show TDC. (and you can turn the pushrods with your
fingers).

Dick

From:
trvesely3@msn.com(TIMOTHY VESELY)

 Hi Guys
Long time lurker here. I think my timing chain jumped a tooth or two.
When 11 and 12 are on the rock 1 and 2 are tight and when 1 and 2 are on
the rock 11 and 12 are tight does this sound like my chain jumped? My 76
tr6 was running fine on a short trip (10 miles) it sat for about 4
hours. when I started it it would idle but no power.
thanks Tim