Re: Keep a crank?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Keep a crank?
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 12:39:04 -0700
 Mark---Some confusion may arise on washer orientation from the
illustration as shown in the Bentley manual. (More clear in the Triumph
Owners Repair Manual) We only need to know that the grooved (for oil)
side of these washers must face the rotating crank, to stay out of
trouble.

Very true that it doesn't take a dial indicator to know that the washers
are worn too much. A simple levering the crank pulley back and forth
will show when replacement washer(s) is necessary. The main thrust
washer has to really get thin to fall out into the pan. I suspect that
it would have to lose more than half of its original (.092) thickness to
fall out. One of these days I'll do a mock setup to see.

Dick

From: tr6@pobox.com(Mark Steph)
This must be more common than you think. My previous owner did exactly
the same thing. One trust washer in the bottom of the oil pan looked as
fresh as the day it was made. The other looked like it had gone through
one of those "squish a penny" machines you find at the state fair.
...not to mention the end of the crankshaft turns into a cone and the
flat spot at the back of the engine was an inverted cone shaped hole.
Oh, yeah, and the clutch run-out was about 1/2 an inch.
It doesnt take a magnetic dial gage to determine that there is too much
run-out when it moves that far.