Re: Running a flushing agent through your trannie?

To: "Bruce Simms" <brucesimms2003@yahoo.ca>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Running a flushing agent through your trannie?
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 21:31:40 +0100
Bruce Sims wrote:
Is it advisable to flush the trannie with some sort of cleaner?    What
would I use?     I guess I would slosh it around  a bit by moving the
trannie around on my bench. I remember a junkyard mechanic recommending
diesel fuel to clean my old Volvo engine.  After draining the oil , I filled
it with diesel. idled it for 2-3 minutes and it came out black.

Diesel is an excellent (if not smelly) agent but I *certainly* wouldn't
recommend using it in an engine as an ultra-shortlife 'lubricant' if only
for flushing purposes. I use diesel as well to clean components, but only in
a parts washer for large parts and in an old flat metal tray with a
paintbrush for the little bits. If you don't like diesel, kero is just as
good.

Jonmac