Idle speed revisited

To: 6-pack listserve <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Idle speed revisited
From: Rick Norris <rnorris1@swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 07:20:27 -0700 (PDT)
I have been unsuccessful in getting the idle speed on
my '75 below 1100rpm or so. The consistent advice is
to deal with everything else, including vacuum leaks,
before adjusting the carbs. While I really thought I
had the the vacuum issue dealt with, I discovered last
eveing that I did not.

The litle elbow connector at the vacuum advance is
cracked all the way through on its underside so I
asume it is leaking. But what bothers me is that
plugging the vacuum port on the manifold does not
change the engine idle. Shouldn't there be some change
in the idle when blocking that port?

The engine runs very well other than the fast idle.
Would advanced initial timing increase idle speed and
not otherwise degrade performance?

Thanks for any input!

Rick Norris