Idle drops as the night cools off

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Idle drops as the night cools off
From: "Steve Lindquist" <lindquistse@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 20:36:59 -0400
Steve Lindquist
I have noticed my engine idle rpm can drop significantly as the outside
temperature drops.  Tonight I left the house ( 68F, idle rpm=850), drove
the car for 1/2 hour, went to dinner, then began the return trip home.
Temperature had dropped to about 50 F, and then when I stopped at a
light the car was barely idleing at 500 rpm.  Next light it stalled.
This has happened a few times before, I usually readjust the idle screws
and then when it gets consistently warm have to readjust back them
again.  This is a 68 TR250 with Z-S carbs.  I have removed and cleaned
the temperature compensators and reinstalled them, no obvious
improvement. Stock everything.   Ideas?

Thanks, Steve