Re: Differential Stub Axles

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Differential Stub Axles
From: Mark Steph <tr6@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 13:57:47 -0600
I highly recommend you *DO NOT* try to remove the stub axles from the
hub yourself with a press.  I did this myself some 20 years ago.  The
result looked fine.  It ran fine for about 250 miles.  Then the last
inch or so of the stub broke while I was doing 75mph down the interstate.

"Hey, what's that thing I saw pass me on the right?"

"Oh.... it was my left wheel"

The result was one totalled TR6 when I hit the center guardrail.

On the plus side, you would be really surprised how sturdy those little
buggers are when you hit a guardrail doing 75mph.

It was only a year or so later that I saw TRF did rear hub rebuilds.  It
is worth every penny.