Re: Ignition Timing anomaly, 2

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ignition Timing anomaly, 2
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:47:37 -0800
 Dave---If the timing is really jumping around as a timing light
indicted, the engine would respond with speed changes, at idle. If the
timing really isn't changing, and the driveability issue is not related
to timing, then a whole new set of checks needs to be carried out.

So far as how to check on the damper pulley itself (coming apart) a
simplified way is to grab hold of it and see if you can rotate it a few
degrees. (Sometimes rubber dust may be present, per K.K.)
  There is another way to see how MUCH it has shifted, but this requires
more words and an illustration that this forum doesn't lend itself to.
Hence my article in a future issue of the 6PACK Nesletter.

If early tests show the hub has lost it's (rubber) bond, then there are
outfits that can revulcanize them. It would be difficult for the hobbist
to repair a hub that has lost it's bond, other than to drill and pin it
in place. Iffy.

Would you want to  bi-pass the Crane unit, just long enough to check as
to whether this has any significance to anything?

Dick

From: murr32@shaw.ca(Dave Murray) Date: Mon, Oct 31, 2005, 2:29pm
(PST+1) To: tr6taylor@webtv.net ('Sally or Dick Taylor'),
6pack@autox.team.net

Dick,
I'm not sure the drivability issue and the timing anomaly are related,
though they could very well be and most likely are; I suppose the
drivability issue could be fuel related also. When the car behaved
poorly on this last run I started by checking the basics, such as
timing. This is when I noticed the problem with the timing marks being
so far off. The springs in the dizzy are intact, and allow the breaker
plate to move correctly after dismantling and cleaning, there was some
slight binding before I cleaned everything. The car starts and idles
smoothly and adjusting the timing by rotating the distributor produces
the expected results w.r.t. engine speed and vacuum.

You mention a possible cause being the damper pulley coming loose
between the hub and outer ring, is this something I can check (and fix)
easily?
Dave
P.S. I am currently running a Crane XR700 electronic ignition instead of
points.