RE: oil pres on new motor

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: oil pres on new motor
From: Peter Zaborski <plz@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:11:30 -0600

I've done this once on someone else's car and I don't recall 100% but I
think it did take longer than when cranking the starter. I suspect the
reason is that the drill method is not spinning anywhere even close to the
same rate as when the motor fires up and idles at choke speed (~ 1300 rpm or
so). So if you consider that method takes a few seconds to register on the
gauge (it does on my car anyway, from cold), then the drill method taking
longer makes sense to me. Spinning way slower than the engine at idle and
lots of little oil passages to fill up before it gets to the gauge measuring
point.

The tool I used is pictured at:
<http://members.shaw.ca/plz/oil_pump_primer.jpg>

I had a machine shop make it up from tool steel stock. Can't recall the cost
but it wasn't too much, probably $20 or so. I seem to recall it may be
similar to what a small block Chev engine would use but don't quote me on
that one, I know nothing about V8s.

Peter Zaborski -- CF58310 UO