RE: One more thing

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, kmcnelis@nmsu.edu
Subject: RE: One more thing
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 12:48:38 -0600
>===== Original Message From kmcnelis@nmsu.edu =====
>I can't get the bolts out of the main bearings.  Overtorqued by DPO?  I set
my
>torque wrench at 80 (as high as it goes) and couldn't budge 'em.  Do I need
an
>impact wrench?
>
>Help!  Kevin

I hope you don't mean that you used your torque wrench to try and loosen the
main bearing bolts. Never use your torque wrench to loosen things. It is
reversible for left and right hand thread patterns. NOT for loosening. Using
it as such will destroy any calibration that it might have had.

Scolding over...

Air tools are also not advisable for engine work. To great a possibilty of
stripping the head or the threads.

You need to use a breaker bar and possibly a section of pipe or something to
extend the breaker bar and get the leverage needed to break them loose. Also,
do not use a twelve point socket on them. Get a good 1/2 inch (Tool size not
fastener size) six point socket and a 1/2 inch breaker bar. Twleve point
sockets will round six point heads too easily and the 3/8 breaker bar or
ratchets might not give you the strength that you need.

Also, if your doing this on your back laying under the car, my heart goes out
to you. :o)

Shawn J. Loseke
Fort Collins, CO
http://www.triumphowners.com/79