RE: Now I know...

To: "'Navarrette, Vance'" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>,
Subject: RE: Now I know...
From: "R. Ashford Little II" <70TR6@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 15:06:22 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-6pack@autox.team.net [mailto:owner-6pack@autox.team.net] On
Behalf Of Navarrette, Vance
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 12:32 PM
To: R. Ashford Little II; 6pack

      Don't know the history of your vehicle, but my experience was

similar. Bought the car knowing

lots of things were wrong with it, one of them was a very rough engine.

One of the major problems

was a blown head gasket on #6. Mine was blown because my DPO installed

the gasket upside down. On

the 74-1/2 the gasket has fire rings, and must be installed so that the

fire rings mate with the

grooves in the deck. My DPO installed the fire rings toward the head, so

the gasket probably

only lasted a couple of months. He also used an intake gasket from the

earlier motor, so the

intake ports were 40% occluded by the gasket. Sigh.

I sorta doubt that is the issue.  My engine is also an early engine so I
don't have

the grooves in the block.

      I was wondering if you might have something similar going on. If

your motor has been swapped,

or your DPO was all thumbs, the head gasket could be incorrect or

incorrectly installed. Normally

there is some profound reason why a head gasket lets go, e.g. if a

gasket with fire rings is installed

on an earlier motor, the gasket won't last long. Is this a possibility?

      It may also be that the cam has lost a lobe, so that there is no

intake happening on that

cylinder (My DPO reused his old lifters with a new cam, so it lost an

exhaust lobe on #2. Compression

looked great on that cylinder, but it was dead never-the-less. It could

inhale and compress, but it

couldn't exhale. I wrote a book based on this, called "Waiting to

Exhale". Perhaps you have heard

of it. =:-o Ahem. So, perhaps your cam is the root cause? If that is the

case, you could get by

just swapping the cam and lifters out.

Well the cam is moving the valve train up and down so the cam, while
probably worn, is

All there.

      Speculation. Sorry to hear you are having engine problems. But

you will get a nicer motor out

of the deal, and the wife will just need to understand. ("Dear, I will

need to spend an extra $200

on that custom cam SO THAT IT CAN'T EVER BREAK AGAIN, ok?" <giggle>)

I'll definitely keep that in mind.

      Keep us posted. And if you need any help picking out expensive

after market components, I am

your man. I LOVE to help others spend their money. Wheeee!

      Cheers,

      Vance

But wait there's more.  I hooked up a remote starter for adjusting the
valves and in the process

Burned out my Pertronix since I bypassed the ballast resistor.

Grrr...