RE: Seatbelts

To: "Oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Seatbelts
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 09:26:39 -0700
        Oliver:

        I took my seat belts around to a couple of places, and no one
would touch them.
The reason I got was that they get too many complaints about the
retractor not
working properly when the work was finished. I suspect the real reason
was fear of
liability.
        My solution was to disassemble the belts myself (trivial) and to
have an
auto upholstery shop reweb the belt. I repainted the housing in hammered
silver
and then cleaned and reassembled the retractor. Works like a champ now.
        Just be extremely careful when disassembling as the retractor
spring will
pop out if you are not careful. They are pretty simple to put back in
and
rewind if this happens, but if it can be avoided the work will be much
simpler.
        BTW, one of my belts was rusted solid inside, so that the
inertial lock
was frozen. If I had been in an accident, the belt would not have locked
and I would
have sailed through the windscreen. Yikes!

        Vance
        (Frame is done, body needs to go back on the frame!)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
(I think, therefore I go fast)

TR6 Web page: http://home.comcast.net/~v.navarrette/