dist. advance

To: mitchvamos@operamail.com
Subject: dist. advance
From: DaCRANEz@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 10:51:25 EDT
Mitch
The 17 stamped on the advance stop indicatees a 34 degree advance at the
crank. You have the 41352 dizzy. This allows an advance (dynamic) of 2 degrees
max. In theory total advance should not exceed 36 degrees. My 71 with the PI
cam
would not idle at 2degrees but if I set the timing at 10 degrees where it
would idle it would pink  under load.  There are two ways you can reduce the
amount of advance. One is to sleeve the stop post in the dizzy. A 5/16 roll pin
cut
to length wil fit snugly over the stop post and limit advance by (at least in
my experience) 4-6 degrees. This should allow you to set your timing to
around 8 degrees without pinking. The other  alternative is to have the dizzy
recurved. That is what I finally resorted to. A small amount of metal was added
the arm to limit advance. I now set timing at 12 degrees with total advance of
34 degrees at 3000 rpm. It still does not idle as smooth as a stock engine
but performance is much better. This is all based on my experience with my '71
but should work for you as well. By the way I am using a Pertronix in lieu of
points.
Mike C