RE: sticking clutch pedal

To: <Lizirbydavis@cs.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: sticking clutch pedal
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 08:13:39 -0700
        Joe:

        Sounds to me like you have done a pretty thorough job of
diagnosing it. At first
blush, it sounds like your clutch slave cylinder is galled, and is
getting worse.
        I would mention however that this does not explain the abatement
of the symptoms
when the car is running. To explain that would require the problem to be
the
throw out bearing sleeve and/or the transmission front cover. Then you
could explain the
abatement by the fact that the clutch is rotating which facilitates
motion of the bearing
sleeve on the front cover.
        Try disconnecting the slave linkage to the gearbox, and slip a
pipe over the clutch
lever, and move the clutch in and out by hand. Do you feel the "rusty
spring"?. If yes, then
it is in the clutch itself, and you will need to pull the tranny. If it
feels smooth, then
the clutch slave seems like a good bet.

        Cheers,

        Vance