Re: Parts washing

To: John Dombey <JDombey@dotcast.com>, 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Parts washing
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 17:04:29 -0400
I set a house on fire back in 1971 draining the gas tank on a project car.

I had been using a large galvanized tub to clean parts in the basement garage
of the house.
After several days of cleaning parts, the oil, dirt and grim had taken it's
toll on the volatility
of the gas. Thus being about 22 I lost respect for the gasoline. I started
draining the gas tank
into another galvanized tub, however the tub was about 3 ft from a water
heater. Bingo -- car is now
on fire in the basement garage of the house.

A helpful and knowledgeable neighbor rushed over and proceeded to spray water
on the mess despite my
protests. The gasoline floats on the water, so the fire now spreads. Finally
the fire department
came and put out the fire with dry chemical. But not before the tires had
caught fire and spread
black soot throughout the house.

Not much damage really but a giant mess and a lesson learned. Never loose
respect for gasoline.

But I still clean parts in gasoline, but always out in the open air.

Still makes me wonder that we drive these Triumphs with a thin piece of
cardboard separating the 2'
of space between the driver and the gas tank. That magnetic gas cap makes me
feel much safer too.

Cleaning parts with a scrub brush and 1 liter of dirty greasy gasoline outside
in the open air
sometimes seems way down there in the priorities. But then that's what caused
me to lose respect for
it and get into trouble. That and being unfortunate enough to have the mind of
a 22 year old.

But brake cleaner seems like something worth a try. Why not. What could it
hurt? :-)

Don Malling