Re: RE: Speedometer out of calibration?

To: trinitygadget@alltel.net
Subject: Re: RE: Speedometer out of calibration?
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:37:14 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 trinitygadget@alltel.net wrote:

> Help me out here . . . how can our mechanical tach not be spot-on
> "calibrated" when it's geared directly to the cam via the distributor
> drive?

The only "gear" associated with the tach is the tach drive gear. At the
tach end of things, there's a spinning magnet that causes another thingie
to deflect. This thingie has the indicator needle.

If the magnets are shot, it can result in error in the speedo or tach.

Higher end tachs have gear drives, but the stuff in the TR6 isnot high end
in any way.

The tachs can be "off" with thier reading. To ascertain if the tach is
correct, connect a known good tachometer and compare the results at
several RPMs (idle, 2000, 3000 and so forth.)

> Rick O.
> 72 TR6

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx