Re: Spring Compressors

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spring Compressors
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:46:29 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I _always_ use a spring compressor for doing the front suspension on
TR6's. Some will tell you that it is not necessary. I agree with that
assertion ONLY if you KNOW what springs are in there. If you aren't the
original owner, then you have to assume that you have the "worst case".

That said, the spring compressor to use is one that installs in place of
the shock absorber. You can buy these from TRF and probably Moss, maybe
others. You can also make your own with a length of hefty threaded rod
(1/2" or larger) and several nuts and large washers and then you'll need a
plate (or a 2 by 4) to catch the spring pan.

It's a fairly straight forward operation.

I like to use the spring compressor because you can get the spring pan
lined up easier for when you install the bolts to hold it to the a-arms.
Without the compressor, this job can be a PITA to get everything lined up!
With the compressor in place, if the pan shifts around before you get the
bolts in, you can re-center things with a rubber mallet.

rml
p.s. Jim - I wasn't able to rpely directly to your "troy.edu" address...
not sure why.
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx