More digging about in my '71 + a video

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: More digging about in my '71 + a video
From: "siberian" <siberian@siberian.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 16:45:15 -0800
Today I started digging a bit deeper into my TR6 to start
developing my restoration plan. I am by no means going for
'Concours', this is a pure 'Funcours' job  which for me
means making it look nice, be structurally solid and fun to
play with. I am not planning on removing the body from the
frame but the diff mount and floorboards that I mention
below make me wonder if I can make reasonable repairs with
the body on.

First up was diagnosing that passenger side rear-clunk.
Mike's recent experiences gave me hope that it was just a
U-Joint. No such luck! Every bushing on the diff mount is
worn out (the front passenger side top bushing has a 1/8th
gap!) and when I had my wife help me with the 'spin test'
the differential looked like it was going to bounce off the
car. Holding the top of the pin while she spun the wheel
confirmed, that pin mount on top is cracked :(

Question: How hard is this to fix with 'body on'? Can an
experienced TR6 builder handle the fix and box upgrade
without to much trouble? Seems like a nightmare...

Next up was determining how much rust was on my floors.
Turns out, a lot more then I thought :( The drivers side has
5 or 6 pinholes and is really pitted.

Question: At one point do most folks decide that a
floorboard should be replaced vs. repaired?

Finally, I need some help diagnosing my clutch noise. WHen I
press it in everything sounds great but when I release it,
oh boy! Its loud.

Here is a link a a video (20 meg wmv file), in it I
demonstrate the clutch noise (first segment) and then I do a
quickie walk around the car with some tape of the
floorboards, misc body issues etc etc. I ain't no
videographer but I had the camera and I dump everything to
DVD anyhow so I thought this may help people if they had any
opinions.

http://www.siberian.org/~john/TR6Walk.wmv

Open it in WIndows Media player (File->Open URL) and it
should stream. Makes for a more immediate experience.

Thanks for the support. I'm dying to start stripping the car
but don't want to until I know that I don't need to drive it
anywhere for things like Diff mount repairs etc.

John-