Re: Rearend Sagging

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rearend Sagging
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:01:26 -0800
 Mike----Many of us have chased the ride height around, at one time or
another.
Here's a few suggestions, in order of simplicity:
1) Reach up to the trailing arm brackets, to feel the number of notches
cut into the top sides. There could be one, two or three. If they happen
to be upsidedown, the notch(s) will be on the bottom.
Compare these notches to the two brackets on the other side.  The
different notch configuration goes with what angle is placed on the
trailing arm, which affects both ride height and camber (wheel tilt).

2) Take a look, best that you can, to be sure that the right, front
spring and surrounding hardware isn't noticeably different from the one
on the left front.  (Picture a table with one leg longer)

3) Any chance that the frame member that the trailing arm brackets are
bolted to have been bastardized in any way that affects the trailing arm
location? Measure from the frame to ground, both sides, with two jack
stands leveling the rear of the car.

4) Does the rest of the car also look lopsided, when viewed from the
back, or front?

Dick Taylor
'73
L.A.

n3wnz@arrl.net(Mike Long (N3WNZ)) Date: Rear-end still sagging
Hi Group,
                I hope I'm not asking
too much advice here, but I'm new at working on these cars, and am
learning a lot!
                Some of you may remember
me asking about the rear-end of my '75 TR6 sagging. Well I ordered a new
spring, and it made no difference at all. The reason I only ordered one
is because at the time I thought the previous owner had replaced the
right spring only. So I ordered the left. Anyway, when the new spring
made no difference, I swapped the old spring on the right for the left,
and that too made no difference either. I am now convinced that the
spring is not the problem here. The trouble is, I'm completely perplexed
as to what else it could be. There's nothing else there except the shock
absorber. The left side sits 1 1/4" lower than the right as measured
from the floor to the top center of the wheel well, and 1" lower from
the frame to the floor.

        Does anyone have any ideas, please?

Thanks!
Mike