Re: Carb cleaner. "paint"

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carb cleaner. "paint"
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 12:46:32 -0800
Someone on this list said he had used a "diluted" silver paint to
refurbish the outside of the carbs.  My own was severely stained as the
result of the paint shop steam cleaning and chemicals used on the
underside of the hood, prior to painting. What the heck, so I tried the
diluting technique. A half pint can of Zynolite Epoxy Rust-Mate Silver
paint, mixed about 50-50 with mineral spirits and applied with a soft
brush. It turned out well, or at least gave a presentable look. The
diluting takes away the "painted" look, and leaves behind sort of a
plated appearance.
Yes, one does have to be careful to control runs. I have since removed
this application, and now use "Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish". applied
with several different kinds of toothbrush-type fiber brushes.  The
shine is back, and I must admit it looks better.

Dick

Bill and Don wrote:
Subject: Re: Carb cleaner - outside
Hey Dick you there?
How do you do that? When I think of dilute metalic paint like silver I
think of lots of ugly metalic runs. How's it work?
Don Malling
William Mcintire wrote:
I think Dick Taylor has in the past suggested using very dilute silver
paint on the carbs after cleaning. This would simulate the 'original'
finish and avoid the glopped on paint look.
FWIW
Bill   '70 6