Re: Multiple...

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Multiple...
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:59:39 -0800
Pat---Let's take these one at a time.

Pat wrote:
Subject: (no subject)
Hi All
......and strange problem with the starting/running/timing of my car.
I just installed a set of Pertronix electric "points" to my car. Upon
cranking the car to start the "normal" way (Choke/light gas) it starts
right away and then dies 3-4 seconds later.. Time and time again this
happens. I found that if I stomp on the gas at the same time it then
starts, runs and idles as it should...
I guess I have several problems all rolled in to one. The first problem
is it starting as I said above, the second problem is that once running
and I put a timing light on it the light is VERY erratic , jumps all
over the place at idle! (but idles fine) My buddy said (I don't know
much about timing) it is at 18 Static and 33 Total advanced with no
Vacume. (What should it be?)

Pat---Since you have a timing light on this, it is showing you what's
happening. The timing is indeed jumping all over. (Or your timing hub is
loose) It is likely that the timing is (mostly) retarded enough at idle
speeds to not sustain combustion. The problem very likely is in the
Pertronics, and replacing it, or going back to "points" if only to find
out, must be considered.
You'll want to set the timing as close to 10 deg. BTDC, at an idle speed
near 800rpm if possible, with any vacuum line going to the distributor
plugged.  Once this is set and the variation is under control, check
that the timing does advance as the rpm goes up. By 2500rpm or so, the
advance should be around 24 deg. BTDC. Some models give different
readings, but these numbers should be close enough for the engine to run
well.

....I'm "assuming" that this erratic plug firing is due to the poor
starting of the car. but not sure. Your thoughts? The funny thing is,
that once the car is running it runs great! Smooth, power...

This shows that engines can run with timing variation, once you get them
started!

....and what I have really noticed is how much quieter it runs with the
Pertronix in it....

There is no reason that I know of for any type of aftermarket ignition
to make the engine quieter than with the points setup.
.
....Another problem I have is there is NO vacuum AT ALL from the
Manifold. Any idea why and how to fix it please?....

You may be taking your reading from a place that is not seeing vacuum.
Typically, there should be from 10 to 22 inches of vacuum in a
carburetted engine at idle speeds, depending on the camshaft, and engine
timing.  I'd suggest taking another reading right from where the brake
booster hose fitting is. Gotta' be there. Check the gauge on another
engine?

....Many thanks to you all for your kind help. Pat
Victoria BC

Let us know!

Dick Taylor