Re: Repairing Plywood Dashboard - What's a Bookend

To: Michael_Corbitt@ous.edu, lang@isis.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Repairing Plywood Dashboard - What's a Bookend
From: acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:25:46 -0500
Mike,

  I don't think anyone is trying to put one over on you. I haven't seen
a ton of dashboards before but what you describe isn't uncommon when
working with veneer, especially on a woodworking piece that is larger
than a typical piece of veneer. When I was looking for a veneer that I
thought would look nice for my dash I only considered veneer that could
cover the entire dash. There were other pieces of veneer whose grain I
liked better but the piece wasn't large enough to cover the entire dash
without using two pieces of the same veneer and "butting" them up next
to each other. While I have done some basic woodworking before I do not
have extensive experience with all of the terminology. The New Yankee
Workshop is where I gained most of my education. Your explanation
sounds logical to me and makes sense. I can understand why he would
encourage you to repair the piece instead of replacing it. Assuming the
only damage to your dash is to the poly layer and not to the wood
itself then repairing the existing dash would make sense. The process
is pretty straightforward. Lightly sand the existing poly to smooth any
imperfections and make sure you do not have any poly that is flaking in
any way. Once the poly is sanded smooth apply some high quality
polyurethyene designed for exposure to the outside air and direct sun.
Apply one coat at a time, allow for sufficient dry time, sand smooth
and repeat until you have 4 or 5 good coats and you end up with a
finish you are happy with. The nice thing about poly is that if you
screw it up you can sand it and try again until you get it right. Hope
this helps. I am sure others will have good suggestions as well.

 Aaron

 Aaron Cropley
 71 TR6 (Throttle Body Injection!)
 http://www.triumphowners.com/108