Repairing Plywood Dashboard - What's a Bookend

To: <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: Repairing Plywood Dashboard - What's a Bookend
From: "Michael Corbitt" <Michael_Corbitt@ous.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:02:53 -0800
Perhaps, I'm the uniformed one here, or someone is playing a joke on me.  When
I look at my dashboard, I see a thin vertical line in the middle of the dash
that goes top to bottom.  I always assumed a previous owner had attempted to
redo the dash, but was told by Barry Nelson at the Portland All British meet
this last year that this dashboard appeared in some TR250s and early TR6's.
Basically, Barry indicated that a piece of veneer is split in half and then
unfolded like a book so both sides of the dash have identical wood grain
patterns.  At least this is what I understood Barry to tell me. He said this is
something I should try to repair as opposed to replace.  Is my leg being pulled
here?

Mike

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Michael Corbitt wrote:

> The bookend-style dashboard in my 69 TR6 is starting to delaminate.
> Does any know of any good articles or information on repairing these
> plywood dashboards, or the names of any company's that specialize in
> this?  I like the bookend syle, and would like to salvage it if
> possible.

Help the un-informed... what exactly is a "bookend style" dashboard?

> Mike Corbitt

Confused in Boston.
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |