Re: exhaust straps

To: STEVE KIRSIS <sakirsis@txucom.net>
Subject: Re: exhaust straps
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:41:14 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, STEVE KIRSIS wrote:

> hey gang, has anyone had any problems with the hard rubber straps that attach
> to the muffler from the frame? both straps i received from TRF are about an
> inch short. these are the two hanger straps on either side of the muffler. i
> am using all the parts supplied in the kits from TRF so they should fit. There
> is nothing unusual about the system as i have kept it very original. thanks
> for any advice. steve kirsis, ' 70 damson, ' 76 french blue.

These straps were always a B-I-T-C-H to install... especially the front
one!

I dumped those years ago and wound up using slightly modified universal
muffler hangers for the job. Those lasted forrever... well, 'till I went
to the "temporary" Monza system eight years ago.

If the straps are too short, cut them in half and then use a metal strap
of the appropriate length and use the modified strap pieces as "washers".
This gets you the strength of the steel and the sound isolation of the
rubber part.

The stock installation of the muffler was pretty pathetic. When the cars
we new, the muffler straps would break pretty much once a year, and once
you had the dealer install a new system it wouldn't last as long before
the straps broke (again).

It's 10 or 15 degrees F outside right now. I can't tell you how many times
I had to crawl under my Dad's TR6 to fix the straps on his first TR6 when
it was 10 or 15 F outside! We didn't have a garage, either. Makes my hands
hurt just thinking about it.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |