RE: TRanny top cover leaks

To: "'6 Pack'" <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TRanny top cover leaks
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 09:21:14 -0500
Actually you can "...simply tap the holes for the threaded plugs..."
I've done it, but had I known of Peter's technique I would have used it
instead. Since Richard's transmission is of the earlier type, he can
mark the position of each plug and count the revolutions to remove to
determine the proper setting for installation. I use a little "trial &
error" to get the detent to feel right for me.

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO

Richard,

1. Yes, look in the Bentley for a good description of the disassembly
procedure.

2. Here is a way to avoid displacing the original set screw or plug
setting for the tension adjustment courtesy of Brian Schlorff of Power
British in
Pennsylvania:

"I don't think you can simply tap the holes for the threaded plugs as if
memory serves they are drilled different from the press-in plugs.
Anymore I just leave the press-in plugs and springs in place and remove
just the balls for cleaning the top cover.  To reinstall, I have a shaft
made up to slide in the top cover in place of a rail - I slide this in
from inside the top cover where the forks would go.  It has a very
gradual taper that compresses the ball and spring down inside their
pocket as you push it in.  Once fully compressed, I rotate it 180
degrees so the top of the taper is now at the bottom covering the
pocket.  Slide the rail in until it butts up against the installation
shaft and push the rail home - it slides right over the spring pocket
without disturbing the ball as long as the install shaft if oriented the
right way around.  Easier to make up and do than it is to describe."

I think I sent this all to Nelson Riddel some time ago but I'm not sure
if it ever made to the web.

Peter Zaborski -- CF58310 UO