Re: Clutch & TOB Recommendations?

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Clutch & TOB Recommendations?
From: MTRsix71@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 00:32:28 EST
In a message dated 12/8/2004 3:46:06 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-6pack-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> When I rebuilt my tranny after bringing home the car, I
> discovered that the pin was broken, and the DPO had welded the
> fork to the cross shaft rather than repair the pin. The welds
> were very poor and had subsequently broken, allowing the fork
> to move slightly on the shaft. Sigh. My DPO was a real chowder
> head.

Vance,
I had a similar situation from a PDO as well. But mine left the cracked fork
in place with a chunk missing and tapped a hole through the pieces
horizontally and installed a 3/16" coarse thread grade 8 bolt with lock nut. It
would
probably have lasted several more years but he was not very careful when
drilling
to keep the correct forward angle of the fork in respect to the shaft's
operating lever when held vertical. I had to cut the shaft to get if off as the
grade 8 bolt broke when trying to remove. With the TRF Magic Kit/KOYO bearing,
also bought the additional cross shaft items. With a protractor on the ground
I balanced the new cross shaft on its end with the operating lever on the
ground at 6 o'clock and zero degrees at 12 o'clock. My new fork was at 20
degrees
forward (to the right) and the old one was about 18-20 degrees rearward (to
the left) from zero degrees. This negative 18-20 degrees on the old shaft
required the slave cylinder to majorly compensate the extra travel of the
shaft. The
old one worked OK but clutch released just nearly before the pedal stop. I
removed some type of B&B pressure plate and B&B disc and RHP bearing (all of
unknown age). Now with the new shaft and Sachs pressure plate/ LUK disc/Koyo I
get release about 3/4 pedal travel. I get a 1/2" to 5/8" slave rod travel from
rest to fully depressed.. Seems good to me but I could not find anywhere in the
forums that detailed the correct angle of the fork in respect to the
operating lever. If anyone knows this please let me know! Not, that I am going
to take
it all apart again...giggle...but just for reference.

Michael Rankin
1971 TR6 CC 61212L
Gulf Coast, USA