Re: Fill Plug

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fill Plug
From: Rankinmt@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 13:08:01 EST
In a message dated 12/5/2004 10:35:18 AM Central Standard Time,
owner-6pack-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> Subject: Fill plug
>
> Wheres it at on a TR-6 tranny??AND  how many things in a TR-6 tranny are
> magnet attracted??? Bob

Bob,
The fill plug on my "71 is on the driver side of the tranny. It has a square
head and is a pipe thread plug as standard unless someone has upgraded or
modified the plug. How many things are magnet attracted I do not know as I have
NOT taken mine apart yet. However, when I last drained the tranny before I
started a two year restoration..giggle.. I did notice my magnetic drain plug
did
have slivers of steel on the tip. I am guessing from gear lash contact and
normal wear...I know I am optimistic. I did also have a brassy residue from the
syncros but they will not attach to magnet. Be sure to fill back up with a GL-4
approved for "yellow metals". Many like the Red Line MT-90 but it may be
difficult to find locally or you could special order it. I hear Advance Auto
Parts
will do that for you but others may as well. Pennzoil has a Syncrogear Manual
gear box oil that has on its label as being compatible with "yellow metals". I
plan on getting the MT-90 from Red Line but currently have a Castrol Hypoy
GL-4 from TRF in it.  Good Luck.

Michael T. Rankin