re: Rear Hub to Trailing Arm

To: <mailkendall@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: re: Rear Hub to Trailing Arm
From: "Walt Philipson" <ltwphilipson@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 17:58:34 -0500
Kendall

This is not an uncommon problem. I'd suggest getting a "heli-coil" kit from
your local auto parts store and repair the threads in the damaged holes.
There are other types of kits, but I think this is the most common. This
will require that you use the supplied drill bit and tap to drill out the
hole slightly larger, tap it out with the supplied tap, and screw in the
"coil". This is a very common way to repair damaged threads in aluminum, and
is sometimes used on brand new parts to strengthen the threads. This will
make a sufficiently strong repair. Another option is to drill and tap to the
next size up and find studs that will fit the new thread size.

Walt
'74 TR6

...And on 5 of
the 6 bolt that attached the hub to the trailing arm the studs came out of
the aluminum trailing arm instead of the nut coming off the stud. The
problem is that on a few of the studs the threads came with them!...