Re: Rear Hub to Trailing Arm

To: "Kendall Larsen" <mailkendall@sbcglobal.net>,
Subject: Re: Rear Hub to Trailing Arm
From: emanteno@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 20:05:51 +0000

> Hello List,
>
> Last night I removed the right rear hub from the trailing arm. And on 5 of
> the 6 bolt that attached the hub to the trailing arm the studs came out of
> the aluminum trailing arm instead of the nut coming off the stud. The
> problem is that on a few of the studs the threads came with them! So I'm not
> sure how this is going to go back together with the threads stripped out of
> the aluminum. These threads are pretty much the major force in keeping the
> wheel on the car correct? What should I do to fix the threads? Any guesses
> what caused the problem?
This is pretty common. I have been told that it is caused by overtightening the
nuts. The torque setting for this is quite low, around 15 ft lbs I think (from
my feeble memory). The aluminum is soft, and it isn't hard to screw up the
threads. In my case, I put Helicoils in both trailing arms as a preventive
measure, after witnessing a TR250 lose an axle during an autocross. I can't
remember exactly which size I used. I think (feeble memory again) it was
5/16x18 (coarse thread), and I found studs that were coarse thread on one end
to go into the Helicoils, and fine thread on the other end to use the same size
nyloc nuts as stock (don't re-use the old nylocs). I seem to remember that the
studs were also about 1/2" longer than the stock ones. Been like that for about
5 or 6 years now. Hope this helps.
Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
63 TR4 VSCDA Group 2 #58