Re: Shocks or levers on a tr250

To: Ron Landis <Ron.Landis@kentcounty.org>
Subject: Re: Shocks or levers on a tr250
From: Mitchel Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:29:14 -0400
Hi Ron,

You may get varied opinions on the rear shock conversions but my
experience with this up grade is all positive. The design of the tube
shock eliminates the "play" that can affect the original lever shock. I
also think that the tube shocks ability to control rebound & ride
quality is far better. The most popular conversion style is the one
piece welded bracket that bolts to the original mounts of the lever
shock. The kit I used was from Victoria British but many others sell
similar kits. The VB kit came with gas shocks, KYB's & they worked very
well. Avoid the style that require mounting brackets & drilling holes in
the wheel arch. This design tends to transfer allot of vibration to the
car as well as the metal fatigue to the mounting area.
Things to consider when installing the tube shock up grade is that the
original mounting truss must be in sound condition. If the area is weak
or rusted it might fail. Others have complained of this problem but I'm
no angel with my car & have had no problem at all after three years. As
with any up grade check the basics for tightness & alignment. Because
the top of the new shock tower is next to but not attached to the wheel
well , I put a piece of closed cell foam at the back of the bracket to
stop possible rubbing under load. You can see pics on my web page on the
bottom (sorry in advance for the pop-ups, hey it's free!! )

To check for diff mount failure you can usually inspect the front diff
mount by removing the wheels. You get a pretty good look from there.

--
Mitch Seff
Oceanside, N.Y.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: