Re: Leaking, + tach cable

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Leaking, + tach cable
From: oliver <oliverconnect@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:22:01 -0700 (PDT)
i would replace the cable.  and while you are at it, replace the speedo cable,
too.  i had similar problems, and was advised by this esteemed list to replace
the cable.  that fixed it, and not too long thereafter had a similar problem
with the other instrument, which a replacement cable also fixed.

Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net> wrote:Ian----The inner tach cable
can be removed by unscrewing the knurled nut
where it connects at the distributor drive. Pull out the inner cable and
smear it lightly with your favorite grease. Re-insert it, being certain
that you feel the 'square' end go into the tach drive. On some tach
cables it is necessary to remove the knurled nut at the back of the
tach, and pull the inner cable out at the bottom of the dash. Same
grease job, but one needs to be careful with the carpet, etc.
When the outer sheath is worn too much, the lubrication won't last very
long, if at all. (New cables are cheap, tho)

Dick

....Here's one I forgot to ask; my tachometer has a tendency to race,
meaning it will fly up to 6,000 and then return to 2500 or 3000 (where
it should be) at times.
Another friend (whom I have a little more confidence in) suggested that
the tach cable may simply need lubrication. I would like to give this a
shot before I go buy another tachometer. Ho should I go about this?
Ian 72TR6

Check out the new British Cars Forum: