Re: fuel pump diaphragm

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: fuel pump diaphragm
From: HalMorton@webtv.net (Harold M. Morton)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 00:10:30 -0500
Jim, Jay,List,                                                All the
fuel pump kits provide the diaphragm- what they don`t have is the
diaphragm shaft seal(s). See the illustrations in the TRF catalogs.
(Bentley doesn`t even show this part or describe its replacement,
{leading me to question the necessity}). TRF does (or did?) sell the
sealing washers separately- TRF part number 508981, 2 required,for
something like 50cents each, a few years ago. Look at the left side of
TRF`s fuel pump illustration plate- they are identified as washer, oil
seal. Replacement is accomplished by prying out the retainer (part
number 508980- I used an ice pick). Pull out the old washers, put in the
new, replace the retainer, peen it back in securely.
As to alternative sources for the rebuild kits- someone sells them
regularly on eBay. When I tried to buy mine a couple of years ago,all
the usual suspects had them backordered.I waited a couple of months to
get one.                                         HTH- its probably more
than most of us want or need to know about this aspect of rebuilding
fuel pumps.

Hal Morton                                                  Pascagoula,
MS

Check out the new British Cars Forum: