RE: Gearbox cover - dashboard support fitting

To: "Dave Murray" <dmurray1961@adelphia.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gearbox cover - dashboard support fitting
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:25:45 -0700
        Dave:

        The seals should lay flat on the raised bead of the floor pan,
where the captive nuts are mounted. The tranny tunnel cover should then
fit down on top of the new seals and over the edge of the floor pan
bead. Here is a cross section in ASCII form:

\
 \  <-- Tranny cover
  \
   -----------------------
   ======================= \   <---- Rubber seal
   -----------------------  \
  /       |______|        \ <------- Floor pan bead
 /                         \-----------
             ^
        Captive Nut

        If this is what you are doing, and the cover still does not
permit you to install the dash support, check to see that the tranny
cover is all the way forward against the firewall. There is a lip that
extends out from the firewall, and the tranny cover should sit on top of
this lip, so that the leading edge of the cover is resting against the
vertical portion of the firewall. If the tranny cover is installed too
far back, the dash brace will not fit.
        Check the seal thickness. It should be about 1/16". Any thicker,
and it is going to raise the cover and reduce the  clearance for the
brace. Also, are you sure that you are fully tightening the mounting
bolts? The cover needs to be drawn down snugly against the floor pan. Is
the lip on the edge of the cover too high? It will prevent the cover
from being drawn down to the floor pan. Trim if necessary.
        Next, check to see if the new cover is longer than your old
cover. If it is longer, you may wish to trim the front edge of the cover
to shorten it. This will move the highest spot further forward and allow
you more clearance for the dash brace.
        Is the dash brace the correct one for your car? There were
several slightly different permutations. As far as I know, they are
interchangeable, but perhaps not. Earlier ones did not have the hole in
them for the courtesy light switch, for example.
        Lastly, any chance there has been body damage, such that the
floors are higher, or the dash is lower than original?
        Mine fit with some work. I too used the Moss cover, and it
definitely was a snug fit, but everything went into place with some
shoving and pushing. It is a world better than my old, crumbling, water
stained cardboard cover.

        Cheers,

        Vance