RE: steering rack ball joints

To: "Gary R." <techpartners@charter.net>
Subject: RE: steering rack ball joints
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:07:41 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Gary R. wrote:

> Jim -

[stuff deleted]

> The tie rods may require some good whacks (on the tie-rod tool) to get out.
> Heat on the vertical link and good penetrating oil can't hurt, and cleaning
> the tapered hole and coating with never-seize before reassembly will assure
> you of easy disassembly in the future should it ever become necessary..

This comes up from time to time...

I'd like to chime on on the heat thing. First off, a tie-rod end should
never be so tight that a good pickle fork isn't up to the task. If the
parts won't separate with that tool, then the parts a junk. Period.

As far as using heat on suspension parts, I think this is a bad practice.
If you do use heat, use it on the part that you want to chuck, because the
part will be junk if you heat it enough.

I've always used the axiom - heat on suspension - BAD.

I can't speak to using anti-sneeze on the taper joint, but if you do,
you're probably going to need a impact wrench to get the nut tight enough.
I always do them "dry". They'll come apart with the right tool.

Note: I've used the two hammer approach too, but this is no an ideal
method as it can lead to cracking of the steering arm around the taper
hole.

> Gary R.
> http://www.icer.net/TR6.html
> 74 TR6
> Woodbury, CT

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |