Re: Running Hot

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Running Hot
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 18:08:37 -0700
 Kendall---You are correct.
Engines are said to run better just short of the boiling point of water.
The idea here is to not let too much of the energy created by combustion
heat to sink into the block and head, but rather to turn the crankshaft.
I think what many owners want is a confidence window, so they can spend
more time looking at the road!  I like the 195 'stat, but then I am a
gauge watcher.

Dick

Kendall wrote:
Hi List,
I'm a bit curious where the idea that 185 F is too hot for a TR6 engine
comes from. To my understanding, engines run more efficiently when they
are good and warm ( say 200 + F) the radiator cap is there so that the
system can go well above 212 F and still function as intended. You
actually *WANT* your engine to be good and warm. Seems like a lot of
worry is going into a temperature indicator that doesn't even have a
scale on it. My electric fan doesn't come on till 205 or something like
that.
Anyone want to set me straight?
Kendall
74.5 TR6 (apparently in need of an oil cooler, a different fan switch, a
different thermostat, water wetter, and timing advance)