Re: Words of Warning (not strictly LBC)

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Words of Warning (not strictly LBC)
From: Jay Welch <jay_welch@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:22:31 GMT
Unfortunately, sometimes the best lessons learned are at the expense of others.

Back in the 80's a friend of mine at work was prying a part from a line printer
with a small screwdriver (tweaker) and had his face much too close to the work.
 He slipped off the part and drove the screwdriver through his eye and into the
retina.  The cornea and iris came off the eyeball as he removed the
screwdriver.  Ironically we had just incorporporated an eye protection program
at work.  He was able to keep the eye in his head but it's virtually useless.
Hopefully, future technologies will restore what he lost.

While at Mass Eye and Ear he heard many horror stories.  One that I remember is
the number of serious eye injuries caused by weedwackers propelling stones off
of walls etc and ricocheting into the unprotected eye.

Another thing to be careful of is noise.  Hearing loss kind of sneaks up on
you.  Try some good ear protection while you are mowing the grass with your
tractor....what a difference.  I used to get off of that old Bolens and feel
like I had a buzz....literally.

Jay Welch
Abington, MA
TR6s
Member Cape Cod British Car Club CCBCC http://www.capecodbritishcarclub.org/

 Should fully recover, but I have learned my lesson: