Re: Rocker Arm/Valve Adjustment

To: markmartin@adelphia.net (Mark Martin)
Subject: Re: Rocker Arm/Valve Adjustment
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 12:27:50 -0800 (PST)
Mark---As Rick pointed out, adjusting with the engine running will
hammer the feeler, especially if the rocker pads have worn a little
divot from the valve stems. I used to adjust my own valves this way, and
used a long strip of .010 shim stock, and changed to new spots to get a
"clean" surface.

I don't know if it was any faster, but had a possible advantage of
seeing exactly what the running clearance was. I have abandoned this
practice in favor of one that lets me check the lash with the engine
stopped, and requires the minimum amount of turning the engine to get to
all valves. (I also swipe the stems with a chalk mark, after checking)

If you think you might have a notch worn into the rocker pads from the
valve stems, you can use a modified, narrow-tipped feeler to check and
set.

Dick