Re: Ready to start?

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Subject: Re: Ready to start?
From: Mitchel Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:15:12 -0500
Vance ,
This is by far the scariest, yet greatest moment of any engine builder.
For a guy it's probably as close to the female equivalent of giving
birth  as I would want to get :-) .  It's a whole different world when
you know intimately what every moving part, nut & bolt, gasket are
supposed to do.

Before my start up I made a priming rod to attach to a vari-speed drill
to flush the system with oil. This rod matches the distributor shaft so
you can spin the oil pump. An old distributor shell is the best to use
because it completely fills the opening in the block. If the shaft you
make is smaller in diameter, as you prime the pump oil will surge out of
the opening in the block & will affect oil priming & oil pressure
readings. This is spun in the COUNTER CLOCKWISE direction.  You should
see oil pressure  with in a minute. Be careful not to damage or score
the  oil pump shaft or distributor pedestal.

Cam break-in is usually done by running the motor for 30 minutes @
2,000-2,500 rpms. Some people recommend varying the rpms. Make sure
valves are adjusted & oil is covering the rockers. Don't be alarmed if
you don't see a fountain of oil squirting out from all over, the rockers
lubrications seems constant but not overwhelming.
Listen for noises & check for leaks. Watch the temp gauge. With the car
not moving sometimes the temp will rise. I used a 20" box fan in front
of the grill to keep things in range. The last thing you want is to
watch the gauge rise & you have to hustle for a fan.
After , dump the oil, check the oil filter & oil for motor litter :-) .
I cut open the oil filter & inspect. I also highly recommend a magnetic
oil drain plug.

Re check the valves & retorque the head bolts at 500 miles. Then go blow
the doors off a Honda !!!

The best of luck !!

--
Mitch Seff