RE: Bleeding Systems

To: "'Charles A Cheshire'" <cachuck2000@sbcglobal.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bleeding Systems
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:09:25 -0800
Chuck,

I have used the following four systems (two-man, speed bleeders, pressure
bleeder, Mity Vac) to bleed brakes and while all four worked, I have to say
that the Mity Vac was the least successful.  In theory, it works; but its
hard to get a perfect seal (for one thing, there's leakage around the
bleeder screw threads).  If I had to rate all four by speed/success (highest
to lowest), it would be:

1. Pressure Bleeder
2. Speed Bleeders
3. Two-man
4. Mity Vac

As far as approximate cost (highest to lowest)

1. Pressure Bleeder
2. Mity Vac
3. Speed Bleeder (Cost is per car.  More cars=more cost)
4. Two-man

If you are interested in a pressure bleeder, you can make your own (see
instructions at http://www.garageboy.com/bmw/bleeder.html , substitute spare
clutch MC and brake MC caps for the cap listed in the article) or buy one
from places like Motive (http://www.motiveproducts.com/ , but once again,
you'll have to source your own MC caps )

Speed Bleeders are available from some speed shops and at
http://www.speedbleeder.com/ (I also think that Russell Performance makes a
version as well).  Basically they are bleeder screws with a valve in them
that allows for one-man bleeding.

Sorry to ramble on.  Hope this was a help.

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA
'73 TR6