Re: Re: A hardy thank you to those that endulged my 48 hour

To: S Mann <quicksilver_rising@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re: A hardy thank you to those that endulged my 48 hour
From: Greg Dito <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:57:16 -0500
Absolutely!  Let's not forget checking for crank endplay and replacing those
thrust washers.  And at least check the main and rod bearings for obvious wear,
even replace them.  Better yet (uh oh, I can hear it now, here we go....)pull
the crank, get it checked and ground if necessary then balanced, new piston
rings, new wrist pin bushings, check piston to cylinder clearance fro possible
rebore with oversize pistons, balance pistons and connecting rods if OK,
lighten and balance flywheel, replace timing chain, replace freeze plugs,
rebuild head, maybe mill the head a bit to raise compression a tad.  While
we're at it, regrind cam, new hardened followers, new rockers and hardened
rocker shaft, tubular pushrods.  Did I leave anything out?

It doesn't matter whether you want to keep the motor reasonably stock or juice
it a bit. There are many little things you can do to extend the life of the
motor.  And yes, there are quite a few dollars being tossed around here.  But
otherwise you're going to be pulling the motor again and doing it anyway, and
it might happen right before the summer.

IMHO the toughest part is removing the engine and cleaning it. Unless you plan
to sell it in the near future why not do it right, buy an inexpensive 600 pound
engine stand (~$40) and have fun during the winter.  Engines do not last
forever.

Greg Dito
CD6250L