Re: 9.5:1 compression, hotter cam and dist setup

To: Richard Seaton <rsh17@msn.com>,
Subject: Re: 9.5:1 compression, hotter cam and dist setup
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:15:26 -0400
My understanding from reading Vizard is that the exhaust ports in the
head should be smaller that the exhaust manifold. They should not be
matched.

The intakes should match, but the exhaust should have a step-up in
diameter while traveling from the head to the exhaust manifold.

I would like to know why I would choose between the MSD 6A and the
Petronix.

I bought extra carbs -- I think I have 6 now :-) -- to go with the
triple carbs, but because of the whole theory of the Constant Depression
ZS carb design, I keep thinking it's just a question of how high the air
cylinders ride in triple vs dual ZS. Add more carbs and the depression
at each one is lower, and the air valve rides lower. Makes no difference
how many CD carbs you have unless the duals are not capable of supplying
sufficient volume at full throttle. Maybe the intake manifolds are so
much nicer for the triples there is an advantage there. We've discussed
this before and I'm still just as confused as ever. It would really be
nice if we had some objective data on adding the triples and doing
nothing else. Maybe it will be me. :-)

One other thing I wonder about is the richness during acceleration. If I
go to triple ZS, should I replace the air valve springs with weaker
ones, so the triple air valves rise faster than the dual (stronger
spring) ZS air valves would have risen. Said another way, since there
are now 3 carbs rather than two, would the old dual carb (strong)
springs be making the mixture too rich during acceleration by
restraining the air valve too much?

Don Malling