Clutch Slave

To: dhounsell@msn.com
Subject: Clutch Slave
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 18:53:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: dhounsell@msn.com 2003, 8:16pm
New tr 6 owner which Dick Taylor was the surrogate buyer. Developed leak
in clutch slave cylinder ( stranded on side of road) Ordered form
Victoria British LTD new slave cylinder Part # 7-589 and repair kit
Installed new slave cylinder today
Piston moves outside of housing thus leaking fluid. Completely different
set up than original slave. Does anyone have experience with new slave
Cylinders. Do I need adjustable rod as shown in Roger Williams new book.
Putting new seals in original slave cylinder. 1971 car with 1972 motor
_______________________________

Doug---First, I'm sorry that you had to experience a roadside
breakdown..the worse kind. Second, since this was a car given the
mechanical OK by me just a few months ago.

The part number that you ordered from VB was the correct one, as shown
in their catalogue. I trust this was the one they sent you.

It is possible for the SC piston to pop out of the bore if the casting
is mounted on the wrong side of the attachment plate. This would mean
that the piston would then have to reach out an approx. extra half inch
before the pushrod would find resistance at the clutch arm.

This hydraulic system does not need an adjustable rod.

Further assuming that the unit was mounted correctly, and there is
nothing internally broken in the clutch (fork pin) then you must have
the wrong unit. Rebuilding the original SC with a new seal is the thing
to do. If it then operates the clutch as it should, then contacting VB
is in order.

Again, I'm sorry that you had to be "initiated" in this fashion. For
those on this list who may never see the beautiful '71 that you
purchased, it is a beauty!

Please advise if there are more issues with the clutch.

Dick