Still Trouble Shooting

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Still Trouble Shooting
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:07:29 -0700 (PDT)
Al wrote:
<Listers,
Here's the problem: 1st and 2nd gears going up to 52k rpm is normal,
once I get into 3rd,4th and 5th @ 4K RPM the engine starts to bogg down
as though it isn't getting adequate gas in the carbs.
I replaced the fuel pump, changed out my plugs, put on a new dist. cap,
siliconed my igniton connectors, changed out my fuel filter 2x, reset
the points, replaced the rotor, retimed the engine @ the correct specs.,
idles @ 750rpm nicely. I did NOT replace the condensor.

Any more ideas for me to pursue?
Al Graffam 74 CT>

Al---It's possible that you are just pushing the wall that comes with
drag at the higher road speeds. It could also be that the lower gears
simply have a greater torque multiplication not found up higher, and the
engine just feels stronger.
But I'm going to take a stab at a long shot...There is a subtle
difference between the feel of an engine not performing from lack of
fuel than that from insufficient spark. A misfire from no spark seems
sharper, while (temporary) no-fuel can interrupt forward motion for a
longer time frame. Softer, from a lean a/f mix.

If it's the latter of these, it might be that  just one of the carbs is
not getting enough fuel past the float valves. If true, you should be
able to duplicate this emptying out, or lowering of the float bowl fuel
in any gear, if you hold the rpms long enough.  Given what you've
already done, I'd next check/blow out the float needle valves.

Dick