Followup to drip free engine

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Followup to drip free engine
From: "TR6 Triumph" <tr6_1969@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 05:05:04 +0000
Hi All,

Wow, I was dumbfounded at the quantity of e-mails I received as a result of
sharing with you my little victory.  Many of your responses made me laugh.
Thank you.

And a few of you wanted to know how I did it.  I really didn't think I was
doing anything special.  It was the journey to restore the mechanicals of my
TR6.  So here's a list I've assembled of what I did in order to get drip
free.

1. Remove bonnet.

2. Remove engine.

3. Clean engine completely by hand so as to understand every nook and
crannie (sp?).

4. Remove distributor, fuel pump, valve cover, head and oil filter canister
and replace with new gaskets and applicable gasket adhesive or silicone
sealant (only a very fine coating is required- too much is too much.  No
silicone in oil filter canister gasket though).

5. Inspect extra closely all oil galley plugs and bolt on back of head.  And
oil pan gasket too.

6. Remove transmission to check engine for rear oil seal leakage (and while
you are at it replace the clutch and all other parts necessary).

7. Thoroughly clean transmission and empty oil.  Install new front seal on
transmission and gaskets inside bell housing.  Refill trans with new oil and
reinstall plugs with sealant on threads (I use teflon tape, though that was
not teflon tape's original design intent).

8. Remove fuel tank and all metal and flexible fuel line that leads to fuel
pump.  Replace everything with new.

9. Reinstall motor and watch it still gush fluids.

10.  Reinstall bonnet and open it to stare at engine repeatedly each and
every time after you have run it.  Clean it off thoroughly at least 30
times.

11. Re-remove and re-install all items that you failed to do absolutely
perfectly the first time.  The valve cover gasket is a VERY susceptible
location for oil leaks due the design (or lack thereof).  The nuts that hold
the valve cover on also need a good rubber gasket (the fiber one does
nothing for oil passage.  And you can't use one that is too hard.  It will
compress/bend in the valve cover.  Too soft will just mush out the gasket.
Just like porrige: just right.  I used a type of plumbing washer.  I also
had problems both with my fuel pump and the metal line running from it to
the carbs.

12. Be subject to a magical cosmic karma stellar alignment. (After all your
comments I'm sure that is what had to have happened to me.)

13. Voila.  Your Triumph will no longer leak.

Sincerely,
Dave Herbert

Frustrated with dial-up? Get high-speed for as low as $29.95/month
(depending on the local service providers in your area).
https://broadband.msn.com