TR6 Newbie with questions

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Newbie with questions
From: "Bruce Robertson" <br@brucerobertson.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:13:47 -0400
I am looking to purchase my first TR6. I have a few questions that I
have not been able to find the answers to on the Internet, so I figured
I would jump right in with my first post to the list. The questions are:

1) Where can I find out more about the overdrive on the TR6? I did find
a company on the Internet which sells rebuilt transmissions, and they
referred to a type A and a type J overdrive if memory serves. What's the
difference, and are they interchangeable? If I purchase a car without
it, can it be added later, and from where would I get the parts? What
percent of TRs can with overdrive? Should it be on the "must have" list?

2) I spoke with a seller tonight, and he said the engine compartment has
been painted black by a previous owner. The car is Saffron Yellow. He
said he once looked up the serial number and confirmed that the car was
originally saffron and was not originally black. Where could I go to
view serial numbers to confirm such things? Does anything about the
black engine compartment seem fishy?

3) I have seen where many different websites refer to Air conditioning
parts being unavailable. Do the majority of TR's have AC, or no? Not
many ads list it, and on occasion, I have seen where intake and/or
carburetor modifications have required AC units to be removed.

4) The owner I spoke with tonight has a '72. He said he believed his was
the higher 8.5:1 compression ratio. I know sometime in '72 this was
changed to 7.75:1, but how can I be sure? Would the serial number tell
me this?

5) Lastly, he said that every couple of years, the higher compression
engines would get carbon buildup on the pistons and to remedy this, he
was told to do something I was not familiar with-With the engine running
and warmed up, remove the air filter, and pour a glass of water into the
air intake. He said this removed all of the carbon buildup from inside
the cylinders. I asked how many times he has done this, and he said
twice since he bought it in '95. Does this sound normal to anyone? It
sounds to me as if the fuel/air mixture is too rich. I guess I am
wondering if something like this would damage the engine in any way.

I realize this is a lot of questions. Any insights or pointers to
reference websites or books regarding these are appreciated.

Thanks,
Bruce Robertson
TR6 owner wannabe