Turn Signal Not Cancellingt-Resovled

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>, "TR6 Triumph" <tr6_1969@hotmail.com>
Subject: Turn Signal Not Cancellingt-Resovled
From: "Bob Fabie" <RFabie@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:49:19 -0400
Good bye Isabel! Almost two days without electricity or water. Three large
trees down, but no property damage. We're not even half way through the
clean up. We're happy the power came back on today at about 6pm!!

Back to business...
Thanks Dave, and to all the others (who I previously thanked individually)
for responding to my question about my turn signals not canceling.

After opening up the clam shells that cover the turn signals and observing
how the mechanism operates, the problem became crystal clear. The switch,
which includes the small left and right turn levers was too far away from
the steering column. The steering column has a collar with a lip which trips
the levers. Mine would trip them in one direction while turning, but didn't
have enough "oomph" to cancel the switch as the steering wheel was
neutralized. Although there isn't very much adjustment available, there was
enough to allow me to unscrew the switch, push it further inward (toward the
steering column) and retighten the screws. That fixed it. It works perfectly
every time.

>From what others have said, there can be other reasons for this problem
including, a bad switch, too much play in the steering column (caused by bad
steering column bearings), lack of lubrication or the misalignment of the
steering column collar that trips the switch levers. As Dick Taylor pointed
out, if you have reason to unbolt and move your steering rack forward and
you then reinstall the splined steering column knuckle back in other than
its original position, you will end up with not only a steering wheel that
is not centered, but more importantly, that collar on the steering column
with a lip to trip the turn signal levers may no longer be in a position to
do so, or might do it in one direction but not the other.

I hope this information helps others with similar problems. Your information
certainly helped me! Thanks

Bob Fabie
'75 TR6