Re: regular or hardened lifters for stock cam?

To: Bob Fabie <RFabie@erols.com>
Subject: Re: regular or hardened lifters for stock cam?
From: Jay Snable <jsnable@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:09:29 -0700
Here is the whole story... I bought a Kent cam kit (cam, lifters and
springs) a few years ago during a TRF sale. I haven't been that happy
with it, mainly due to lumpy idle even at about 1200rpm. It is their
"fast road" cam, and the key parameters are 295 duration, i/o 39/76
(symmetric), full intake open at 108 ATDC, .261" cam lift. From
research not readily available when I bought it (thank you internet!)
it seems like the duration in particular is not what I am looking for.
I do like the power though... I have made several other improvements to
the engine (new valves/guides/seals, carbs fixed up thanks to Buckeye
Triumphs, plus more understanding in general), and was curious as to
how it would run with the original cam, which I already have.
Unfortunately I think I either tossed the old lifters or they were lost
during our remodel.

I am considering Richard's GP2 cam also, but may just start back with
the old cam to establish a baseline. I'd be interested in feedback on
that cam, especially idle quality (and idle speed) and vacuum level at
idle (the Kent is 5-10" Hg, pretty low) as I couldn't find any
references in the archives. I will query Richard as well. Other
particulars of my engine are 9.5:1 compression ratio, 1.55 ratio roller
rockers, all else pretty standard (and in good condition). I also have
the Strombergs plus the dual DGVs to play with, as well as an O2 meter
recently installed.

Jay
73 TR6