Koni or Spax

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Koni or Spax
From: "Sterrett Smith" <sterrettsmith@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:14:53 -0400
Dear List,

I am deciding on new shocks for the TR250.  I have narrowed it between Konis
and Spax...for both front and rear.

I know the difference in the Spax vs. the Konis where the Spax are
adjustable on the car where the Konis must be removed to adjust them.
That's where my knowledge ends.

Aside from those basic differences, do they handle the same?  Are the Konis
worth the extra money or perceived benefit.  From what little I've seen,
Konis have more of a "wow" factor. Why?

Mine is a street car, not a race car.  As a two year goal my car will get a
fully prepared head and cam from Racetorations which will give it slightly
better than TR5 PI or early TR6 PI performance, but nothing too crazy.

I know what you're thinking, "Hey if this guy can afford a Racetorations
engine, what's thirty bucks difference for a dumb shock"  Fine, I'll give
you that one, I just want to know which is the best shock to buy and why.
After all, it may be like cigars, flyrods or wine:  the most expensive
aren't always the best, just the most expensive.  The best ends up being
your choice.  I just don't have enough information to chose.

That's why I need your input, Koni and Spax users.

Sterrett Smith
CD7568L